Thursday, November 29, 2007

A.J. Hawk Brightens A Very Difficult Day!!

Last night was the worst night for Tyler since we have been here. We are still learning about all the Chemo drugs, and the much longer list of drugs to combat all the side effects of the Chemo drugs. Late last night Tyler had a severe allergic reaction to one of those drugs. Phenagren, which helps treat the nausea from the Chemo. He began to shake all over and throw his head around. The nurses and doctors came in and administered more drugs to counter the reaction.

Without the phenagren, the nausea came on full force through the night. Tyler was also in a lot of pain and did not sleep at all. He was still suffering at 7:30 this morning when the next round of Chemo injections had to begin, making him more ill. At 12:00 he was taken down to surgery for his scheduled Chemo injections into his spinal fluid. This has been a very long and difficult 17 - 18 hours for Tyler.

After surgery the morphine started to kick in, and Tyler was able to get a little bit of sleep. When he woke up at about 4:30 this afternoon, he was starting to feel much better. It was right about then that Tyler received a call from some dear friends of ours. They said they had told a friend of theirs about Tyler, and that friend had posted a note on this blog. They thought Tyler might want to read it. Their friend was A. J. Hawk from the Packers, and his wife Laura! This got the first great smile of the day from Tyler. It was a wonderful surprise after such a long day. Since then, Tyler has been feeling much better, talking, playing some computer games, and was able to eat a little. It is really a wonderful thing when people like the Hawks, Jason Taylor, Jason Chimera and Jody Shelley take time to visit or contract these kids. They do not know us, but it truly brightens the day. The Hawks blog message came at just the right time.

Tyler just received his evening Chemo. I pray tonight is a better night for him. Tyler will then receive more Chemo injections at 7:30 tomorrow morning. If all goes well and his counts are still good, we will be allowed to go home tomorrow afternoon once he recuperates from the treatments. I am so amazed at how well this brave young man is handling this entire experience. I can not imagine how exhausted he is.

Good News: Tyler's fifth spinal tap was done today, confirming that the cancer is still absent from his spinal fluid and central nervous system. He also received a physical, and his body is standing up very well to the massive amounts of Chemo he is receiving.

This was all good news, however there always seems to be concerns. The current concern is about Tyler's methotrexate levels. Initially the Chemo treatments were delayed because of high uric acid levels put out by the cancer growth. Methotrexate was used to reduce Tyler's uric acid levels so the Chemo could be administered. However methotrexate is very toxic, potentially causing many problems such as renal failure. As a result another drug, leukovorine, is given to flush the Methotrexate quickly through Tyler's system. For some reason the leukovorine is no longer working correctly, raising the methotrexate to toxic levels. Tyler will now begin receiving additional leukovorine injections every three hours throughout the night. If the methotrexate levels are not reduced, we may not be allowed to go home tomorrow.

This is the lesson of cancer we have come to learn all too well. You really can not focus on anything beyond the very next step. Everything is constantly changing. When Chris Valentine dropped off a gift for Tyler on Thanksgiving, he wrote about God only lighting enough of the path to take your very next step. Beyond that, you must have faith. I find that very hard to do. Kathy is much better at it.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and don't lean on your own understanding. In all things acknowledge him, and he shall direct your way. [Proverbs 3:5, 6]”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AJ Hawk ic awsome espessily when he was on the Buckeyes. I am your brother Erik