Saturday, November 24, 2007

Cautiously Optomistic

We have another meeting with the Doctors on Monday to review the results of the tests run this pat Friday. One of the doctors came in this morning. He said the results still will not be in until tomorrow, but there appears to be a significant decrease in the cancer. We were looking for at least a 20% reduction, and he said he is "cautiously optimistic" that were have at least the 20% reduction we are looking for. We still have a long road before us, but this is very exciting news if it is confirmed on Monday. I believe it is all the prayers that are getting us through all of this. Tyler continues to be courageous as he goes through everything. We have received so many emails and call. We are just now beginning to respond to them all. They encourage us so much. I hope to report great news on Monday!

We have heard from so many people in similar situation.
-Last week I sat outside the nuclear medicine room speaking with the mother of a 15 year old boy name Taylor. He had similar symptoms to Tyler in October. He also had a stage 4 lymphoma, and now is doing very well.
-Our good friend Crock stopped by today and was also visiting a young girl who had similar symptoms and found out yesterday it was cancer.
-Last night we received an email from a parent of a friend Tyler's grade who has been facing serious medical issues.
-Chris Valentine, the 23 year old president of Dublin school board and a cancer survivor, stopped by our home on Thanksgiving day to drop off a couple of books and a wonderful note for Tyler. He left us with the Bible verse James 5:15, "And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up."
-Today, a 13 year old boy was moved into the room next to Tyler. He is still in isolation, so we have not meet him yet.
-A few nights ago we received a visitor who knew us only through someone at church, and told us of the health issues and eventual loss of his son Max. He prayed with us after he read from James chapter 5.
-This afternoon I received an email from a past co-worker expressing concern for Tyler. His son recently finished his 18th surgery at Children's.

I am amazed at how oblivious I was to the amount of pain, joy, faith, loss, and prayer that happens here every day. I do not know how you can experience it and come out unchanged.

........................................................................................................................................................

It is a fathers responsibility to protect his children and keep them safe. I never doubted my ability to provide everything my wife and sons wanted without help from anyone one. Today I stare directly into the eyes of my son's cancer, the biggest battle of my life, and this battle I am powerless to win on my own.

I have been remembering the old testament story about Elijah looking for God. It says a hurricane wind ripped through the mountains and shattered the rocks, but God wasn't in the wind; after the wind came an earthquake, but God wasn't in the earthquake; and after the earthquake came fire, but God wasn't in the fire; and after the fire came a gentle and quiet whisper - and in the whisper was the voice of God. I never knew what that meant. I am not sure I do now. But I think there is something there worth learning.

8 comments:

Connie Lukacs said...

Dear Tyler,
You don't know us but we met your mom and dad and youngest brother this past summer at the Garvers with the Malarkeys.
We have been praying for you since you all first recieved the devestating news.
I know you like football allot and I don't know much about it to talk to you about it but I do know allot about Gods miricles! Look at your dear friend, Alex. After his accident I was part of the all night bedside prayer vigil. There were mornings after praying all night I doubted Alex would survive. WOW!!! Was I wrong.
It is a long story so I won't go into it but I had an uncle that was diagnosided with terminal cancer when he was a young man. Well, it was terminal all right. He died 35 years AFTER the docs told him it was terminal. My uncle had 35 years of a wonderful life, most of the time cancer free, finished raising his kids, came to the Lord. Not bad,uh? Jesus knows more then all the doctors in the world.
We will continue to lift you up in prayer here at the Lukacs home. Do not grow weary or faint.

In Him,
Connie Lukacs

Lia DePerro said...

Hey Tyler, In reading your site this morning, I just laughed and cried. I love the stories about how your parents made you guys "make up". I wish I knew that trick, because I would have tied up Adam,Amanda and Michael, and probably left them tied up together!!!! Just keep sending us great news about your recovery!!!! Mikey can't wait until you get home. He misses you beating him up!!! We all love you--Mrs. DePerro

Taryn Langwasser said...

Hello Tyler,

You don't know me...but, I have received THREE emails regarding you! Friend and tutor Sallie Danneberger, Carol and Ben Sword (my sons Viper teammate) and Matt and Elizabeth Kuchers (Campus Crusade for Christ good friends)...all wondering if I had met you on J5. I have spent the last 15 months on J5 with my 7yr. old daughter Olivia who is battling a high risk Leukemia. Odd as it sounds...our family has been stretched and strenghten by this experience. I have learned to "comfort with the comfort with which I have been comforted!" I will look for you and your family in the halls and clinics at Childrens...in the meantime, please feel free to contact us at anytime. Our email is on Olivia's website: caringbridge.org/visit/olivialangwasser

Stay Strong,
Taryn Langwasser

The Northerns said...

I really enjoyed this post. I guess because that sometimes when we feel the most alone and like we are the only ones facing something, God pops in and says, hey look, you aren't alone...look at all these others who are battling some of the same things. There is hope and God is so awesome and I learn that more every day. I am so glad to hear of all the positive things that are coming out of this. Andrew and I continue to pray for you daily and think of you often. Also, I told a friend of mine at work about Tyler, and she said that she has been praying for Tyler since I told her. She herself, just beat breast cancer and is going through chemo and yet, she is more concerned about others, like Tyler...be strong and thanks for all the updates!

Andrew and Denise

Mary Anne Noland said...

Tyler,
In Sunday School today, I asked for prayers for you and your family. One friend told me of a wedding she went to this summer of a friend diagnosed 13yrs ago with Burkitt's. He is doing well now. We continue to keep you in our prayers. I am enjoying reading your dad's comments. Unfortunately we haven't lived close enough to see you but every few years. I hope your granddad shared the pictures with you from yesterday's game. Of course, his team won but there will be other games.
Love,
Aunt Mary Anne

Davakis Family said...

Dear Tyler and Family, After the redistricting and Nate going to Coffman, it has been quite awhile since the two of you have "hung out" together. We recently came across an old script from your movie days with Mr. Hull. Remember "the burning of Rome" in our garage?
Nate would love to stop by and visit you. You both could talk about old times at Grizzell.
Please know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers.
With love, The Davakis Family

Anonymous said...

Dear Alfriend Family,

I am so glad that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving AT HOME! Hopefully the good news will continue and going home for an extended stay soon would be so nice.

It is so great to hear of all of the loving support that you are recieving from everyone and everywhere, from the Spanish teacher to the prayers from everyone that you have never even met.

We continue to pray for you all. Let us know if there is anything that we can do to help you all out.

Tyler, you stay strong and continue to fight. You will WIN this battle.

Laura & Jimmy

Jenny Frazier said...

Hi Tyler,
You don't know me, but I had heard about your battle from a friend and then saw your website on Kylee's site. I want you to know that I am praying for you and your family. From reading your blog I can tell that you are surrounded by a wonderful family and many great and supportive friends. Stay positive and strong. One day at a time.
In Christ,
Jenny Frazier