Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Day in the Cancer Clinic

First the good news -- Tyler's counts were off the charts! ANC, platelets, red cells, white cells! All fantastic!

We will not get the results of the CAT scan for a couple of days, but the doctors can no longer feel either of the tumors they could feel before! We are expecting great news from the CAT scan. Early Monday morning, right before starting his next week of chemo, Tyler has another bone marrow and spinal tap surgery. The results of those surgeries will tell us how effective the chemo has been on the cancer in the bone marrow, and if the chemo treatments to the spinal fluid have continued to be effective.

Throughout this process we have noticed something very amazing. The greatest improvements in Tyler's health come immediately after an increase in messages from people telling us they are praying. You can interpret that as you wish, but the timing does line up. I do not know how much is the result of prayer and how much is the result of doctors and medicine. Frankly, I do not really care. I am very thankful for both. I believe strongly in both.

The results were everything we were looking for, but the process was very difficult. I do not have the skills to put into words the courage and strength Tyler has shown through this process. We went into Children's today to have the blood taken through the port in his chest. It should have been a quick process. Unfortunately the blood had clotted and could note be drawn. The nurses had to twist and turn the port trying to get the blood to flow. Tyler's skin and flesh is still very tender around the port, and the needles are large. Every movement was painful. The nurses never did get it to work, so they removed the needle and inserted a second one through the same hole. They got the same result. They then injected a solution to break up the clots, which causes a severe burning pain, and then continued to turn and twist the needle to get the blood to flow. This was repeated with four different needles. They had applied a numbing cream but, because the procedure is normally very fast, the cream only lasts for 30 minutes. This process continued for over two hours before the blood began to flow. Tyler never made a sound. He just laid there, listening to their frustrations as each attempt failed and he was told they were starting over. This was the first time I saw the nurses holding back tears. This illness is Hell. And Tyler has walked into Hell, stared the flames in the eye, and said, "I will survive". There is no other way to describe it.

"With faith in your right hand and courage in your left, you will always succeed."
Charles Lindberg

"Pray for one another, that you may be healed."
James 5:16

Please pray for:
Elimination of the cancer
Strength during next weeks round of chemo
Wisdom of the doctors
Our friend Kylee. Her counts today were where ours were last week.
Tyler's friend he saw at Children's today. She has chosen to keep her illness private.

We also have a couple of "Quinn" surprises for Tyler. But he was wiped out when we got home. We will do that tomorrow.

1 comment:

deyerles said...

Dear Tyler,

Sounds like yesterday was a pretty tough day. Once again your bravery and strength came shining through.
We will continue to pray that you enjoy this weekend with your friends and family and next week goes easier and more quickly than you could ever imagine. Remember God is with you, you are not alone. It sounds like everyone in Dublin is with you too. I know there are many of us in Virginia praying for you as well as many around the country. You are truly love and even in adversity truly blessed.