Saturday, December 29, 2007

Hanging In There

Tyler remains very brave as this cycle continues. His white blood counts are so low they are no longer measurable. He has no detectable white blood cells. The other counts are continuing to drop. The pain continues, as does the nausea. We are doing every thing we can to keep Tyler as comfortable as possible. His temperature continues to be high, causing difficulty in the platelets and blood transfusions.

We have switched one of his nausea medicines based on recommendations we received from another family here on J-5. He just received that about an hour ago. We hope and pray it is more effective.

We just received the results of the sonograms on Tyler, and everything in his liver and gall bladder appear normal. At this point it appears there is no significant damage to those organs.

It is now 2 a.m. As I look at my son in the dark, I listen to his laboured breathing over the sounds of the IV pumps. I realize I am looking at the very essence of bravery. A few days ago, when Tyler was refusing to take some meds, I said, "I know it hurts, but...". Tyler quickly responded, "No! You don't know!" He is right. I don't know. I can not begin to imagine what is going in inside him. None of us who have not been through it can know.

The other day I received an email from a young man battling this terrible sickness. He said he saw cancer as a necessary part of this world. It puts everything else in perspective. No matter what problems you are going through, or what ailments you may have, you can always say, "Well, at least it's not cancer". He said those battling cancer are here to show the rest of the world how to fight for what is important.


"Save me oh God, for the waters have come up to my neck."
---Psalms 64:1

"I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me."
Philippians 4:13

"Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eyes."
---Helen Keller

"I Refuse to Lose"
---
Stefan Tarapchak

"Keep Fighting, Stop Struggling"
---Miles Levin

Please pray for Tyler's recovery. We need him stabilized so he can come home and build his strength up. Round three must begin January 7th.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"
---Dr. Seuss

5 comments:

beth said...

Kyle, it is 5:00 here and I am reading your post as I too listen to my son and his breathing...ALex has a cold so I have slept very little. I found night time to become a time that I became well aware of how.."hey,everyone else is sleeping". Strangely, in the quiet hours, God sometimes speaks to me the most. I contiue to pray for you all as do many others. Noone is in anyone else's shoes so while we cannot fully understand their pain we can sure try to help them carry their load(take the edge off. Praying right now for comfort for each of you.
If you or anyone else ever need a phone buddy, I am always up at this time!!
Beth

deyerles said...

Ok Tyler,
I voted for the bowl games. I don't have a clue. I really should have consulted you first but from the look of the tallies I didn't do too bad. Of coarse, I have Virginia Tech all the way through.
I also choose Ohio State beating LSU by more than 7. I know things are going to improve for you here in the next few days and you will be well rested and strong for the big game OSU vs LSU. Remember you have created a OSU fan here in Virginia and we will be tuning in to the game also. Great news about your liver and gallbladder sonogram. Hopefully, the new meds will help with your nausea. We continue to pray for you to feel better, stronger and pain free.
Love,
Debbie

missy said...

You can most definitely add one more family of Buckeye fans to the list of those praying! I just came across your blog and spent the last hour or so reading it...and I'm bookmarking it right now. I'll be back to check up on Tyler's progress and see how to best pray for him.

Be encouraged and comforted...God has a plan!

Praying in Toledo...The Olivo family

kim said...

I totally understand how the community has come to your aid! When I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer two years ago, it was truly overwhelming the support that we recived. Bailey Elem. was there for us, the neighbors on Kate Brown and our church, of course. Even though you guys are not on Kate Brown anymore, we are still here if you need us, we are praying and sending good thoughts your way. I hade 8 rounds of chemo, but it doesn't sound anything like what Tyler has been through. I can relate to some extent though, and, he WILL get through this! Keep fighting!
Kim Whitlow, and the rest of the Whitlow's

Grandma Bonnie said...

Tyler,

This is a tough day for you. No one can understand what you are going through. We can only continue to love you with every ounce in our healthy bodies and pray that our love in some way will bring comfort and healing to you through it all.

Grandpa and I will be back to see you on Thursday.
Love,
Grandma Bonnie