Thursday, December 20, 2007

You Know You Have Cancer When...

This was sent to me by Amanda, a 15 year old fighting cancer. It made me laugh, mostly because it has a lot of truth. I thought I would share it.

You know you have cancer when....

1. You miss going to school
2. You know more about the human body than your biology teacher
3. Your little brother wants to be an oncologist or a neurosurgeon when he grows up, not just "a doctor"
4. You reset and flush your own drip
5. You feel at home when you walk into the hospital
6. You accidentally call one of the teachers, ‘doctor’
7. You start to correct Grey’s Anatomy, House, Scrubs and ER when they mispronounce a disease or procedure
8. You start to say like ‘I was only in hospital for a month this time’
9. Last week's spelling test was written on the back of pathology results
10. You can swallow six pills at once without water
11. Vomit does not freak you out
12. You’ve watched so much television that you never want to watch it again
13. You walk around the hospital and know all the nurses by name
14. You start to realize who your real friends are
15. The background picture on your phone has five bald people
16. You correct the pharmacists pronunciation of drug names
17. You don't know your way around school, but you know the hospital back to front
18. You get so angry when you see someone smoking
19. Your parents get mistaken for staff members
20. You can’t find things in your own kitchen, but you know where everything is in the hospital kitchen
21. Your little brother goes up to bald men and says, “My brother has cancer too.”
22. The head of nursing on the oncology ward has a photo of you on her desk
23. When people ask you where you went on the holidays you say “Children’s”
24. You can't remember how to do long division, but you can calculate, measure and convert mls, mmls and mgs of meds
25. You make up jokes about cancer that others don’t understand
26. You start to think if you didn’t have cancer, you wouldn’t be as strong a person as you are today

4 comments:

deyerles said...

Dear Tyler,

Just checking in to see how things are going. You are almost done with round 2 right? I thinking tomorrow is your last day. I know you are looking forward to going home.
Kyle, thanks for the list. You know what they say, Laughter is the best medicine. I have a couple of friends I know would enjoy it too.

Love,
Debbie

JanaSlon said...

Hi Tyler,

My name is Jana Slonecker. I found your name through Kylee Bornhorst's site. We are relatives. Anyways, we got in contact with her because I also had cancer. I actually had Burkitt's Lymphoma...so I was so surprised when I found out that she knew someone else with Burkitt's. I am now almost nine months out of treatment, and doing well. I absolutely LOVED this post...and the funny part is I sent it my favorite nurse.

I just wanted to let you know that I will keep you in my prayers. If you'd like, you can check out my site. It is:
www.caringbridge.org/visit/
janaslonecker


Prayers, Jana

The Gale's said...

Tyler, we have a suprise for you from one of our NFL friends. Let us know when would be a good time to bring it to you.
The Gales

Stef Tarapchak said...

Great list, Tyler. When I was recovering from my cancer surgery, I think I hit a few of these myself. I think I also read the the entire internet, twice!!

I can say that I know your pain. This is not fun, but you are such a blessing to me, a person who just happens to have cancer (fyi - we are not cancer patients, we are real people that just happen to have cancer). Not to belittle our journey, but we are stronger than this disease.

Keep strong and Refuse to Lose!
Stef (Stef's Random Ramblings)
Hope to meet you soon!!