Tuesday, January 8, 2008

OSU verses LSU

Our Buckeyes lost. We had friends over. There was lots of noise. People were yelling, laughing, and getting into the game. In the middle of it all was Tyler. The Tyler we know. Getting angry and yelling at the TV screen. All and all, this was a great evening.

Tony and Tyler

Tyler in the corner of the sofa, with Brian, Tony, Michael, Travis, Erik, and Mark. It's hard to see, but the tuba player is running out to dot the "I" on the big screen befind Erik.

Tyler with Grandma Bonnie and Grandpa Terry

Michael and Erik

Oreo in her Buckeye shirt



Now everyone else is asleep (they have school in the morning), but Tyler is still up. He is replaying the game on xbox, trying for a better outcome. This time, since he has more control, I have no doubt victory will be his.



As I sit in the quiet and think about the game, I am reading a note Tyler received in the mail today. It is a large note with a Vince Lombardi quote. As I recall other sporting saying, I feel like many were specifically to Tyler. Every day I am amazed at his strength and courage. We begin round 3 of chemo tomorrow.

The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more than the events that occur.
---Vince Lombardi

A champion is one who gets up when he can't.
---Jack Dempsey

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.
---Lou Hotz

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a persons determination.
---Tommy Lasorda

The difference between successful people and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of determination.
---Vince Lombardi

If everything in under control, you are not going fast enough.
---Mario Andretti

Far better it is to dare mighty things to win glorious triumphs, even checked with failure,than to take the ranks with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
---Teddy Roosevelt

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
---Winston Churchill

There is nothing impossible to him who will fight.
---Alexander The Great

3 comments:

Deyerles said...

Dear Tyler,

Iwoke up thinking about you and decided to write. I was afraid I'd forget what I wanted to say if I wanted til morning! That happens when your old like me! HAHA.

First I am so sorry about the buckeyes. I did watch the game and was very excited during the first quarter. I just knew they were gonna win by more than 7, just like I had voted! I have to admit I fell asleep during half-time and had to turn on the T.V. to get the final score. It's ok! There is always next year! Looks like you all had fun watching the game.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow night as you stsrt round 3. I know you are beyond being tired of this mess. I know it helps to talk to people who are experiencing the same things you are. They seem to understand how you feel and what you are really going through better than anyone else. It sounds like you are surrounded by great kids your age, who are going through the same thing. Reach out to them. It will help them and it might make you feel better too.

Remember we are all so proud of how strong and couragous you are and it is ok to get mad and angry at times. That doesn't mean you aren't strong it just means you are using the emotions God gave you to reach your inner most strength. So go ahead and sock your Dad if you feel like it! HAHA He won't mind he's there for you! Even if you don't feel like it, do it for your Aunt Kim ( she'd probably pay ya). Your dad terrorized her as a kid. Just kidding, well not about the pay off. HaHa!!

We love you and are praying for your "Fight to Win"!

Good night,
Debbie

Kylee said...

Hey Tyler

Hope you were able to enjoy your time at home. I know it stinks going back to the hospital. I told my parents they are going to have to drag me there on Thursday because I don't want to leave home. Anyway maybe I will see you this week, if I am able to keep my eyes open for more than 10 minutes at a time! Good luck.

Kylee

Anonymous said...

Tyler,

I know you probably don't know me, but I want you to know that my husband and I are thinking of you and praying for you daily.

I love all of the quotes that get posted up here. I have kind of a girly contribution to your quote collection. It's from a chick flick, but I think of you when I hear it...

"It's the character that is the strongest that God gives the greatest challenges to, and you can take that as a compliment."

Fight to Win!

- Julie Stankey