Friday, February 22, 2008

Cancer Sucks

Cancer Sucks.

I apologize if that offends anyone. But it is true. I can not think of any other way to express it. There is no way around the fact. What these young people go through should never happen. It is overwhelming. Their futures change on a regular basis. I love my son very much. I would give anything to trade places with him. I am completely overwhelmed as I see all he has had to go through. None of these wonderful young people should go through this.

Brett went home today. We said good bye’s and gave hugs to his family. We talked without knowing what to say. And cried. Cried a lot. It was only 3 months ago that I first heard of Brett from his mother. Today I can not remember a time that I did not know them. That is true of so many we have met here. Far too many.

Seven months ago a healthy 16 year old Brett Workman went to the doctor with abdominal pains. That is when he and his mother learned of a cancer called Burkitt’s lymphoma. Brett fought and beat the cancer, but it returned within in 30 days. So he fought it and beat it again, and then received his bone marrow transplant from his brother. Yesterday confirmed Burkitt’s had returned again. Children’s Hospital said there is nothing left except palliative care. Calls to St. Judes, Boston, MD Andersons, CHOP, and other institutions found no solutions. Today Brett and his family were sent home. Palliative care. An innocent sounding word with an ugly meaning. A word never intended for people this young.

An ambulance crew came with a gurney to take Brett home. As I walked with them leaving J-5, Brett said something in a weak and quiet voice. One of the ambulance crew leaned her head down to Brett’s gurney and asked what he had said. She then repeated his words, “Thank you all very much for all you have done”.

“When you have nothing left to lose, you find you can always lose a little bit more.”
--Bob Dylan

Please pray for wisdom and comfort for the entire Workman family as they search for options and make their decisions.


Save me oh God, for the waters have come up to my neck.
--Psalms 64:1

A hurricane wind ripped through the mountains and shattered the rocks, but God wasn't to be found in the wind; after the wind an earthquake, but God wasn't in the earthquake; and after the earthquake fire, but God wasn't in the fire; and after the fire a gentle and quiet whisper. And the wisper was the voice of God.
--I Kings 19:11-13

1 comment:

Mom said...

Kyle,

You are remarkable and the inspiration you have been for all the parents and children on J-5 is so special. I believe there is a hero in every heart but yours seems so much bigger than most.

I know we all gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which we stop to look fear in the face. As your Mother I think you have had enough fear for a life time and more.

Rest in The Lord - Be Strong,

Love,

Mom