Saturday, March 8, 2008

Our Friend Brett Workman

"When you have nothing left to lose, you find out you can always lose a little bit more"
--Bob Dylan



From Brett's Mom-


My son Brett is now at peace in the arms of the Lord and my mother. I am devastated. He passed away in my arms. Brett was amazing never losing his sense of humor and fight to live. His last words were I love you all. I know this was intended for everybody that came in contact with my son. He has made me a better person and mother. I was truly blessed that this child was my son. I never in 17 years heard him say a mean thing to or of anybody.


Please keep my family in your prayers.


Sheryl Pauley


Brett Norris Workman, 17, of St. Albans peacefully left the earth and entered Heaven rejoicing on March 6, 2008.

Brett made everyone a better person by having known him. He was a very grateful and sensitive man who went out of his way to comfort those around him and was always very thankful, especially to his caregivers. He never showed anger and was always kind. Brett loved people and had a special love for animals. He had an incredible thirst for knowledge and had great aspirations.

Brett graduated from the Mountaineer Challenge Academy in June 2007. He was recognized for his strong leadership skills by being named Platoon Leader for the 4th Platoon. Brett also received the award for physical fitness.

From July 2007, he courageously battled Burkitt's lymphoma and never lost hope. In his brave fight, Brett inspired thousands of people who came into contact with him during his hospital stays in Charleston and Columbus, and many others who closely monitored his progress from all over the world on his personal Website http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/brettworkman . The support given to him and to his family was inspirational and uplifting.

Brett was a believer in Jesus Christ and had grown very close to the Lord during his battle. The words that the Lord laid on Brett's heart last Sunday were "Everything is going to be all right." It now is.

Funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, March 11, at Maranatha Fellowship Church, St. Albans, with Pastor Dr. James R. Wright Jr. officiating. Burial will follow in Forks of Coal Cemetery, Alum Creek. Friends may call from 6 to 8 p.m. Monday at Maranatha Fellowship Church. Casdorph & Curry Funeral Home, St. Albans, is in charge of arrangements.A guestbook is available online at http://www.casdorphandcurry.com/.

Brett proved to be an awesome warrior, a relentless fighter, a brave young man and a true hero to many. Like the 17-year-old David, he was a giant slayer."I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; There is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing." - 2 Timothy 4:7-8


"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” - Jesus Christ , John 14:1-3.


"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

- Revelation 21:4.


In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to a fund established in Brett's honor in the name of Sheryl Pauley for Brett Workman's expenses at BB&T, St. Albans

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi all. How are you?