Sunday, April 27, 2008

Back To Normal

Hey, this is Tyler; I decided I would start writing on here because I am finally feeling normal again. Actually other than the two trips to Boston and Houston, things are starting to become more and more familiar. I am starting to have more energy throughout the day, I am now wanting to get out of the house and do stuff, and I am slowly beginning to build my strength and coordination back. I only have two treatments left and both are going to be outpatient which is great. Because things have gotten a whole lot better recently, and I am trying to return to normal, I have been paying a lot of attention to what the community is doing to help me get through this whole experience. I am overwhelmed by the amount of support I have gotten and all the work that has gone into helping me. With this whole process winding down I can't stop thinking about all the other families that have just began this awful journey. Therefore, I am asking those who are looking for a way to help me out, to give their support to other families that are in need. Another option can be to help out the doctors researching easier cures for cancer. I believe I have gotten so much from this community and so many others have gotten so little. So please if you want to help, then focus on the kids who have not gotten the great results that I have gotten. If this happens I will feel a lot better about walking out of the hospital after my final treatment. Thank You.


A lot of people were wondering why the amount of posting has dropped. I am excited for this because there is nothing to talk about. I am finally feeling like I am a normal person again with a normal life. So if there is not as many posts consider it a great thing and know that I am doing great.

My trips to Boston and Houston helped answer the questions we needed, and took away my fear of a relapse by a good amount. Both doctors agreed they would not change anything about the protocol I am on which gave me a lot of confidence. Also the doctors there left some decisions up to me just like some of the doctors here at Children’s. When they let me feel like I have some control on what is being put into my body I start to feel like I can do things on my own again and I feel normal. While on these trips the best thing I got out of it was the amount of walking I had to do. Walking all over the airports and through the cities was tough but I am walking much better than before because of those long walks. I am eager to finish up these final treatments and get my life running normal again. Once again thank you for all your support, and please think of all the others on J-5 and throughout the world battling cancer.

10 comments:

Bob P said...

just made my day....

deyerles said...

Hey Tyler,

It is great to hear from you! I am so thankful you are feeling so good and are beginning to enjoy just being a teenager! You have been so strong through this journey and we are so proud of you. I am happy the worst is behind you and you will be able to enjoy your summer.

We have all been enlightened to the trials of so many struggling as you have from this blog. We will continue to pray for them as well as for you and hope the day is near that there is a cure for this terrible disease that affects so many.

Fight to Win!

Hugs,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Way to go Tyler. It's so good to hear you so positive and looking toward the future. I believe that through your battle with cancer, and your dad's thought-provoking and insightful blog, many of us have tuned in to the world that is J-5. We will continue to pray for all of you.
Keep fighting and looking forward.

The Belke Family

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic news, Tyler. I am so thrilled to hear that you're feeling so much better. You are truely an inspiration! May God continue to bless you.

Anonymous said...

Tyler:

Great post! It's way too cool that you are feeling normal again!

Please inform you dad that this does not get him off the hook for all of the running events he has been training for!

Much love,

JD, Val, Kari & Tara

dina b. said...

SO good to hear from you, Tyler! We, too, eagerly await the end of your treatments and a return to 'normalcy' for you. We think about you and your family every day!

Love,
The Bornhorsts

Sherry said...

Hey Tyler,

We are so happy you are feeling better. We still check on you often and pray for you daily. Your spirit is amazing. God has GREAT plans for you.

Take Care Buddy,

The Bolser Family

Grandma Bonnie said...

Tyler,

This is the best posting on the blog so far. Thank you, Tyler for letting us know how good you are feeling. Normal is pretty wonderful. It certainly makes my heart sing that you are doing some regular things.

I am taking your advice about helping other children with cancer. All proceeds from the Discovery Shop where I volunteer goes to cancer research. I asked the manager if we could have all funds the month of September go to helping children with cancer. The best news is all 62 retail Discovery Shops in California are going to do the same.

Thank you for helping us all become more aware of the need to help children with cancer. Together we will find better and easier treatments.

With Love,

Grandma Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Wow. You are really a cool kid, Tyler, for thinking about other sick kids!!!
Praise God you are feeling better.
Connie Lukacs

Anonymous said...

Tyler, It is so good to hear that you are feeling "normal!!" We are still praying for you! You and your family have been through so much these past several months and we are glad you are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you will be hanging out with your friends again soon, and you are always welcome to our house to hang out. Keep Fighting!!
The Recker Family