Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Still on J-5

A few more tests and a few more drugs. At this point the consensus seems to be that we are dealing with chemo side effects. There is no indication of new cancer. In the morning scans will be run of Tyler's gall bladder. Some of the symptoms indicate a possible problem there.



The jaw pain and severe headaches are being blamed on Vincristine, one of the chemo drugs. The diaphragm pain is thought to be a result of the muscles used with all the nausea that Tyler is currently having. The abdominal pain is the primary focus of the testing. It is a different type of pain than Tyler has experienced in past rounds. Tyler has been put on isolation until the problem (or problems) is identified.



Travis is also sick, so we will need to go through and disinfect the entire house before Tyler will be allowed to come home. I think Travis is the only senior in Dublin who was really sick on senior skip day. He even had to miss the senior banquet. He and his girl friend won the "Cutest Couple" award.



Team in Training Update

I am still on schedule with the training runs. I also received all the cross training info today.

One of the training coaches told me today that the training and marathon are 10% physical and 90% mental. I said that was great news! I said I'm not that physical, but many people have told me I am mental. It sounds like this is right up my alley. 23 training miles down, only 450 miles remaining to get to the starting line.



The coach asked if I was feeling better now that I am running. I said "Nope. Every bone in my body hurts all the time, but thanks for asking."


"Pain is your body telling you that you are still alive."



Actually this training feels good. Not physically, but in the heart. As I run I think of all those 100's of hours sitting on J-5, doing nothing and feeling so helpless. I think for all the other families doing and feeling the same. The run is something that I can actively do, while raising money for Leukemia and Lymphoma research. The training and the race are about endurance, perseverance, and surviving through something that you did not believe was possible. But it is nothing compared to what those kids are going through every day. I know it sounds really corny, but it just feels like the right thing to do.

We all appreciate your support.
http://pages.teamintraining.org/coh/columbus08/kalfriend

4 comments:

Kylee said...

Tyler-
Bummed to hear about the pain. Hope you can find something to watch on the crappy Children's cable. If you ever want to talk about abdominal pain, which I doubt you do, you know who to call.

Kylee

Bob P said...

Guys, dont know how the pain management program works there, but when he need something they got it. No need to be in pain. Hope tomorrow goes good on the gall bladder, strange to say but I vote for side effects. stay tough man

Anonymous said...

Praying for all of the Afriend's on a daily basis,,,stay strong...

Cathy Sankey said...

Tyler,

Sorry to hear of the intense pain this week. Hang in there---you are in our thoughts and prayers every day. Fight to Win!!!!!

"The will to conquer is the first condition of victory."