Monday, May 12, 2008

A Very Long Day in Clinic

Tyler was up early this morning to get to the cancer clinic to begin round 7 of Chemo. It took until 8:00 this evening to complete all the chemo. Tyler got home about 9:30. He came home amazingly strong and feeling good. Everything starts back up again tomorrow morning.

***********************************************

The Conquer Childhood Cancer Act has been approved by the House. The bill authorizes $30 million toward childhood cancer research. As soon as the bill was passed, it was renamed the Caroline Pryce Walker Conquer Childhood Cancer Act of 2008. Caroline, the daughter of Representative Deborah Pryce, lost her battle with cancer at the age of 9. AJ's dad sent me a copy of the article for The Dispatch:
http://blog.dispatch.com/dailybriefing/2008/05/pryce_bill_renamed_for_daughte.shtml


*********************************************
Tuesday is Livestrong Day, and Lance Armstrong will be on campus at OSU to help bring more attention to the need for cancer research. The Livestong Foundation was one of the first national cancer support groups to aggressively promote the need for separate research on teenage and young adult cancers. To help support the cause he created Youth Alliance, to focus specifically on the often ignored needs of teen cancer.
The thing that impresses me the most about the Livestrong organization is that it approaches the battle against cancer the same way Armstrong approached the Tour de France races...ignore what everybody says, and get the job done. Their goal is to beat cancer this year. Fight this thing to win. If you don't succeed, than try again. Dig deeper. Fight harder. Never quit, ever. And you will win.
If ending cancer was easy it would have already been done. But it is not easy, so it has been left to us. I believe now is the time. Now is the season. It is time to give the focus and dedication necessary to kill this disease. It effects far too many children. And they suffer far too much. Help bring attention to the cause by signing the petition at the top of the page.
"Fight to Win" - Tyler Alfriend
"You get what your give" - AJ Piniewski
"Change impossible to I'm possible" - Sinjin
"Refuse to Lose" - Stef Tarapchak

"Anything is possible. You can be told that you have a 90-percent chance or a 50-percent chance or a 1-percent chance, but you have to believe, and you have to fight. If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or Fight Like Hell.”"
-Lance Armstrong



1 comment:

Cheryl Linton said...

Hi, my name is Cheryl, and I recently learned I had burkitt's lymphoma. My case, though, it's not in the bone marrow. I'm 21 years old and this started just around my 21st birthday. :( But, Everyone is confident I can get rid of it, and I have been told by doctors, that even if it is advanced, it can still be cured. So, good luck, Ty, I'm fighting alongside you!

You can reach me at my email: flaming_sabre@hotmail.com

Or you can find me on Facebook (click my name at the top of the comment) I have a group dedicated to my fight against lymphoma! :)

Good Luck and stay blessed! ^_^