Monday, June 2, 2008

Graduation Time

Tyler continues to get better. Yesterday he was able to leave the house and go to Julie Strunk's graduation party in our old neighborhood on Kate Brown Drive. Tyler looked fantastic as he walked around the yard with his friends. He even felt good enough to leave his crutches at home. It was a lot of fun getting updated and telling old stories about having fun in the neighborhood. Ding-dong ditching, camp outs, drain-o bombs, air soft guns, illegal tree forts on park land, and the unauthorized use of toilet paper. My favorite story is still the crop circles, but I can't tell the story. Kathy is still made at me about that one.

It has been great going to these parties and seeing so many kids who have supported Tyler in his fight. Most of them were there at Dodgeball, Hockey, Snowball Softball, and Laps for Love. It was Julie who designed Tyler's "Fight to Win" tee shirt. Many of these kids have been friends with Tyler and his brothers since pre-school. Now, along with Travis, many are graduating from high school. Time never stops. It moves on, regardless of what we do. The only choice we really have in life is what to do with the moments given to us. Life is short. Live it well. As Kipling said, "Fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds worth of distance run."

Live every day shooting as if it’s your last shot.
--Miles Levin

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.
--Steve Jobs

You have a gift and you best start using it,
cause if you don't, your gonna wind up losing it.
So get busy like a school boy making an "A",
cause time my brother is ticking away.
--DC Talk



Team in Training: Hard run. But it's done. At the end someone asked me what my goal was for finishing the marathon. I said, "Alive." 44 training miles down. 429 to the starting line. Fight to Win.

3 comments:

Kyle said...

Dear Tyler,

I found your webpage from the other caringbridge site. I'm fighting leukaemia myself (T-Cell ALL dx'ed July '07) and hardly know any teenager/young adult who is going down the same road. So, I consider myself lucky to find you and also to read your story.

Will keep you in my prayers list from now on and hopefully one day all this thing will be a thing of the past for both of us.

I'll check in on you again later.
Until then, wish your day is better.

JD said...

Kyle:

429 miles will get you to the Mississippi river!

Thought for the day:

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably , And never regret anything that made you smile.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

JD

Julie Strunk said...

Alfriends,

Thank you SO MUCH for coming to my party. It was so good to see you all again and share memories. I was excited to see that Tyler was up for coming to my party.

Love,
Julie Strunk