Friday, June 27, 2008

Who Could Say No? Here's Who. Why?

Whenever there is a funding decision between adult and childhood cancers, the kids lose. Why? Because fighting childhood cancer does not make good business sense. Unbelievable, but true. A National Academy of Sciences report titled “Making Better Drugs for Children with Cancer” stated,

“From the point of view of companies developing drugs and other agents to treat cancer, the pediatric cancer drug market is often well below the radar screen, and typically it has not made business sense to invest in research and development for these cancers. But in fact, the biological and clinical characteristics of nearly all childhood cancers differ substantially from adult cancers.......Cutting-edge science notwithstanding, market forces are not sufficient to drive the process and bring to the bedside new drugs for children with cancer."

That is why the Cure Childhood Cancer Act is so important. It is the first time money has been set aside exclusively for childhood cancer. $30 million a year. The amount we spend every 2 1/2 hours on the war in Iraq.

The House passed the bill unanimously. So who could ever say no to this? Here are the "who". Tom Coburn (R-OK), Jon Kyl (R-AZ), and Michael Enzi (R-WY) are blocking the senate vote. 32 other senators have refused to support the bill, including John McCain. Here are all their names and their emails.

http://capwiz.com/curesearch/issues/bills/?bill=10688461&cs_party=all&cs_status=X&cs_state=ALL

We must the cure. Otherwise this will never end. Please watch. This is what we are fighting.





I don't have much anger. The way I see it, we're not entitled to one breath of air. We did nothing to earn it, so whatever we get is bonus. I might be more than a little disappointed with the hand I've been dealt, but this is what it is. Thinking about what it could be is pointless. It ought to be different, that's for sure, but it ain't. A moment spent moping is a moment wasted. I accept what is to come, but I cannot rid myself of a deep mourning for all those experiences -- college, marriage, children, and grandchildren -- that will probably never be mine to celebrate. What solace I do find is in the knowledge that I have done everything I can to transmute this terribleness into something positive by showing as many people as I can how to endure it with a smile. I don't believe you can ask for any more, but if I could ask for something, it would be to be able to go outside into the glorious spring air, feeling healthy and blissfully clueless as to how lucky I was for it, if only just for an hour.

--Miles Levin, 18.

2 comments:

ken said...

keep fighting! I heard today there may be a way around the three.... possible vote in july

ken avery

turquoise cro said...

I am so SORRY and very ashamed 2 of my senators from WV are on "The Ugly List" as I call it! I have written them asking Why and telling them the American people should make them visit the children's Cancer Wards and tell them and their parent's NO to their face! I'm going to write every one of them, I wrote my 2 and then got to John McCain going down the list but I will be writing the others soon! Good Luck! Kyle on your RUN!!! "FIGHT TO WIN" Tyler! in my prayers, Cinda