Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My Cancer...

Leroy Sievers of NPR is fighting cancer. On his blog he asked readers to finish the sentance "My cancer...". Here are some of the responses.

  • My cancer has made me more compassionate and more appreciative.
  • My cancer makes me try harder.
  • My cancer pisses me off.
  • My cancer has made me realize that I must make the most of every day and to be so grateful when I am with my family and friends.
  • My cancer made me stop taking myself so seriously.
  • My cancer has taught me valuable lessons about living, loving, and dealing with things, all of which I would have been happy to have learned from a book instead.
  • My cancer today is only a small part of my identity.
  • My cancer taught me to recognize parts of myself that I had denied. I took gifts in my life for granted.
  • My cancer taught me I was stronger than I ever knew.
  • My cancer reinforced for me what is truly important in life- God, family, friends- pretty much in that order.
  • My cancer, has given me FREEDOM, I never had. I don't worry. I don't fret. I am free. I faced the beast. Lived and live with it.
  • My cancer made me realize that I was indeed stronger than I ever thought I would or could be and that "things" do happen. The most important thing that my cancer has taught me is that everything will be alright - regardless of what happens, everything WILL be alright.
  • My cancer made me feel lonely for the first time in my life.
  • My Cancer helped change the direction of my life. Time became precious and relationships even more important.
  • My cancer taught me the power of others prayers for me.
  • My cancer sucked me up in a slashing, burning, poisoning tornado, then set me down in a new place, headed in different direction. I'm a better person since cancer. I'll add more to the world.
  • My father's cancer taught us both that God is gracious and we must trust wholly in Him.
  • As a teacher, my cancer has taught me to teach those around me to go for their dreams when they can, while they are young.
  • My son's cancer has taught me to turn to God for everything. He is the One in control of our lives, not us.
  • My cancer will not define me
  • My cancer... saved my life.
  • My cancer has taught me to live life with a sense of urgency.
  • My cancer has shown me the importance of enjoying each day--spending time with family and friends.
  • My cancer has taught me that I am loved, I love, and I am tough. I will not let it label me. I laugh at it
  • My cancer reminds me to pray more often.
  • My cancer has taught me about the goodness of God and of my friends and family.
  • My cancer taught me to speak up for myself.
  • My cancer taught me that I am a fighter and will fight hard for my life without regrets.
  • My cancer is not mine. It is some THING that I will fight against with every breath in my body. It is not welcome here.
  • My cancer... sucks. That's all.
  • My cancer taught me how to survive.
  • My cancer gave a whole new meaning to the phrase "Carpe diem"
  • MY CANCER taught me that I have the strength and the will to only have one direction, and that is forward.
  • My cancer has shown me how strong I am.
  • My cancer has done nothing. i give it credit for nothing good in my life. I did all of that.
  • My cancer is a phrase that I don't accept. I have disowned it and don't claim it as mine.
  • My cancer has made me stronger, deeper and softer (but I still hate it)
  • My cancer is not me.
  • My cancer showed me who my friends were,
  • My cancer does NOT define who I am.
  • My cancer has given me wings.
  • My cancer gave great clarity to my life.
  • My cancer is not me. I have cancer. It doesn't have me.
  • My cancer has no redeeming value.
  • My cancer has taught me that I am lucky to be alive, that Life is mine to live and I get to create it the way I want.

TNT Update: 117 training miles down. 356 to the starting line.

2 comments:

deyerles said...

Tyler,

Just wanted you to know you are on my mind this week and in my prayers as you go through testing. Praying for the best results.

Fight to Win!

Debbie

Grandma Bonnie said...

Tyler,

Love, prayers and positive thoughts coming your way.

My grandson's cancer has taught me how blessed I am to have my extraordinary and remarkable son, Kyle. In the midst of horrific heart break and pain he continues to work tirelessly to help Tyler and other children and parents who are going through cancer. Kyle and Tyler are my inspiration.

Love,

Grandma Bonnie