Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sunday Morning

Brandon and I went to church Sunday morning. Tyler's counts are still too low for him to be in public, and Kathy and the rest of the gang stayed at home with Tyler. It is only the 2nd time since Tyler's diagnosis that I have been able to get to church. The sermon was about a friend of Moses, a guy named Caleb. I guess Moses wanted to advance into the promised land, and sent some spies in to check things out. But the spies saw the enemy and everybody chickened out. Only Caleb stood up to say they could take on this fight. Caleb's eyes were focused on victory, while everyone else just saw insurmountable odds. I suspect he was listening to Bob Marley on his Ipod, "Get up, stand up. Don't give up the fight! I bet he even had dreadlocks. Caleb knew the fight would not be easy, but what worth having ever is? What is the value of a life without challenge and purpose?

But on that day the cowards won. Afraid of the challenge of the battles, the Israelites went back to the safety of their desert, eating sand for another 40 more years. In fear they ran from the pain of discipline and commitment, and instead ran straight to the pain of life long regret.

These kids on J-5, and all the other cancer floors, never question the odds before them. With the courage of Caleb, they get up each day and fight for the victory. That is what we are created to do. With each new round, Tyler and the others stare into the flames of Hell and say "Bring it on." I wonder what could be achieved if we all could learn from these young people, if we all approached our lives with their level of passion and fight? Would there be a cure for cancer by now?

Tyler has beaten this cancer down to remission. He fought against the odds, and fought hard. He fought with passion and commitment. And he brought cancer to it's knees. How can I possible do less with everything I touch. Why waste my time and my life with things not worth fighting for? I never want to be the guy in the Jackson Brown song, "Say a prayer for The Pretender, who started out so young and strong, only to surrender." Tyler, Stef, Kylee, Sinjin, Colyn, Matthew, and so many others are teaching us how to live each day with passion, love, and courage. Fight to win. Refuse to lose.


I am only one, but I am still one. I can not do everything, but I can still do something. I will not refuse to do something I can.
--Helen Keller

Dying is not what scares me; it's dying having had no impact. I know a lot of eyes are watching me suffer; and -- win or lose -- this is my time for impact."
--Miles Levin

To every man there comes a time in his lifetime, that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to him and fitted to his talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified to do the work which could have been his finest hour.
--Winston Churchill

I want to put a dent in the universe.
--Steve Jobs


In the coming world, they will not ask me, "Why were you not Moses?". They will ask me "Why were you not Zusga?".
--Rabbi Zusga

He's a real nowhere man, sitting in a nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody. Doesn't have a point of view, knows not where he's going to, isn't he a bit like you and me?
--The Beetles

I might be more than a little disappointed with the hand I've been dealt, but it is what it is. Thinking about what it could be is pointless. It ought to be different, that's for sure, but it ain't. We deal with realities, not pretty possibilities. And I'm sorry, cancer, but I refuse to stop enjoying life. I made that decision at the outset.
--Miles Levin






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise God for Tylers strength as well as your entire family.
Praise God for this remission. I continue to pray daily for all of you!
Connie Lukacs