Friday, August 29, 2008

September: Childhood Awareness Month

Summer is over and time is moving on. Tyler and Erik are back in school. Brandon and Travis start back at OSU in a few weeks. Tonight is the Jerome football game, and tomorrow the the OSU game against Youngstown.

Life is getting back to normal, as Tyler is now over two months into remission. Cancer is moving into the past, as a "Been there, done that, kicked it's butt!" experience.

But we will never forget the lessons that we learned. September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month. Last year I did not know it had a month. Nor had I heard of Burkitt's Lymphoma. Here are some other things I was not "aware" of...

  • Number of children who will get cancer: 1 in every 300.
  • Number who will not survive: 1 in 5.
  • Number of children diagnosed with cancer each school day: 46.
  • Number of children who die of cancer every school day: 7.
  • Number of children currently fighting cancer: 35,000
  • Number of new drugs developed for childhood cancer in the past 25 years: One.
  • Percentage of cancer research money spent on childhood cancers: 3%.
  • The only age group with declining survival rates: 15-22 year olds.
  • Age group (other than 70+) with the highest cancer fatality rate: Teenagers.
  • Age group with the most advanced cancer at time of diagnosis: Teenagers.
  • Age group with the highest number of life long chemo side effects: 15-22 year olds.
  • The most under-represented age group in clinical trials: 15-19 year olds.

Did you know? I did not. I guess we do need an awareness month.

As many of you know, I joined Team in Training to run the Columbus Marathon as a fund raiser for Leukemia and Lymphoma research. Several weeks ago, thanks to your generosity, I exceeded the fund raising goal. Thank you very much. The Leukemia - Lymphoma Society is still happy to accept more contributions. You can donate and see my running log at http://pages.teamintraining.org/coh/columbus08/kalfriend.

But, if you are interested in something specifically benefiting to childhood cancer, here are some suggestions.

While on J-5 we became very close to Brett Workman and his mom Sheryl. In March Brett lost his battle with Burkitt's Lymphoma. A fund has been set up to help the family with the costs.
Sheryl Pauley for Brett Workman accountant BB&T 6th Ave. St. Albans, WV 25177

And three pediatric cancer organizations that have really impressed us...

Kids N Kamp at http://www.kidsnkamp.org/
Make a Wish at http://www.makeawishohio.org/giving.html
Cure Search at http://www.curesearch.org/

I ran my 1st 1/2 marathon on Sunday. Finished about 10 minutes behind my goal, but I did finish. Two months until the Columbus marathon.

After the race a friend told me that 13.1 miles is not the true half way point. Physically and mentally, the half way point of a marathon is mile 20. Then another friend told me the race distance is from a Greek soldier who ran from Athens to Marathon, and dropped dead at the 26.2 mile spot.

Great. I think it's really time to get some new friends.

277 training miles down. 201 miles until the starting line.

4 comments:

MJ said...

Congratulations on your first half marathon. What sobering facts, I too knew very little about pediatric cancer a year ago. I have been blessed by becoming a prayer warrior for these precious children and I pray I can pass along to others all I have learned about these courageous children and their wonderful families. Tyler please know that I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers always.

Ron Kursinskis said...

Great job Kyle!

Ron Kursinskis said...

We're so happy that Tyler is getting is life back
Our prayers are with you.
Ron

connie prutting said...

Kyle,

I recall last year sitting at Chili's with my sister (a.j's mom) and they layed a sheet of paper down that had a pepper that you should color, it was for their Sept. fund raising for St. Judes. We both looked at it and cried as at that moment we were already "aware" of pediatric cancer. Painfully aware. Now one year later we continue to cry, be aware, and understand. It's the last part that is the hardest.

Love to you and your family,
A.J.'s Auntie