Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pictures

Life goes on and Tyler keeps getting stronger. Grandma Alice is here for some chemo treatments, and things are going better since she changed primary doctors. Brandon and Travis were home from college (which is always great). Travis and Katelyn were back at high school to pass the baton onto the new 2008 Homecoming King and Queen. I've now run 393 training miles, and have a 20 mile race tomorrow. 18 is the furthest run I have completed to date. Thinking about it, running 20 miles seems like an extremely stupid thing to do. I guess some things are just better done without thinking--and I tend to be better at those things. (Actually I'm scared to death -- but don't tell anyone). 65 miles to go to the marathon.

Travis and Katelyn preparing to pass the "Homecoming King and Queen" to the new class.



During Tyler's battle with cancer, we consulted with many hospitals. One of them was the Dana Farber Cancer Institute out of Harvard. Since September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month, the Boston Globe went to Dana Farber to develop a photo essay on childhood cancer. The below picture is of A.J. Piniewski and his sister.

Like Tyler, A.J. was a healthy and athletic teenager. And like Tyler, without warning, he was diagnosed with Burkitt's last year. A.J.'s family has been a wonderful source of support for us in Tyler's fight. Bob Piniewski, A.J.'s dad, has created People Against Childhood Cancer. You need to check it out. Bob and A.J.'s aunt also came to support Tyler when we were at the MD Anderson Cancer Institute in Texas, only months after A.J. passed away.



Here are a few more of the pictures. To see them all, and to post your support for raising awareness, you can go here.


FIGHT TO WIN!

2 comments:

Amy McLeod said...

Kyle-
This is Mason's mom. I just wanted to thank you for including Mason on Tyler's page and in your messages for prayers for our wonderful sons with a relapse of Burkitt's. I also keep up with Tristan, Sinjin & Tyler, and AJ's dad. I pray for Tyler every day though I have never met him.
I admire your blog to get the awareness out; it is something I have not really knuckled down with. Mason has been my top priority; I guess that is the problem with most of us parents of children with cancer. I was just thinking of you when I laced up my walking/running shoes. You and Tyler are an inspiration.
Sincerely,
Amy McLeod (Mason's Mom)
Atlanta, GA

MJ/Angel_Wings said...

Morning Tyler I am so thankful that you are doing well and I am praying daily for a cure for all of our special children. Please know that I am thinking about you and keeping you in prayer.