Sunday, October 12, 2008

First Place!

I came in first place in a race today. Very proud of myself. I came home and told Tyler, and his 1st reaction was, "How old was everyone else?" Now that hurt! That hurt very deeply. But the truth is, I do not know anything about the other runners. I never saw them.

To be honest, there were a couple of extenuating circumstances to my glorious victory. I actually was supposed to run with the team, but had a conflicting appointment at work. So I got up early to do the 12 miles on my own. With about 4 miles to go, I noticed some people putting up orange cones and directional arrows. A mile later I passed people putting up tables for water stations. As I can to the end of my run, I saw people up ahead setting up a finish line. A guy at the finish line looked up and saw me. He jumped up, looked at his watch, and started yelling at everybody. They quickly ran a tape across the finish line. The people setting up the food tables ran over, looking at their watches and applauding me.

Well, the finish line was where I planned on ending my run, and my car was parked in the lot just beyond the finish line. Besides, everyone looked so excited, I did not want to disappoint any of them. So I kept running toward the finish line. I put up my arms, high-fived everyone, and ran through the finish tape as they all applauded. I kept running, past the food tables, through the parking lot, climbed into my car, and drove off.

I do realize that, based on a few technicalities, some may not consider this to actually be my win. I do realize that I do not know when the raced started, where it started, or how long it was. But I believe those facts to be very minor technicalities. As far as I'm concerned, I've run for 4 months, clocked 465 miles, and lost 50 pounds. In seven days I'm running 26.2 miles. Every inch of my body hurts. I'm taking this victory as mine (although I probably will not tell the race organizers -- who ever they are).

7 days to the marathon. 7 days to Tyler's 4 months of remission.

Fight to Win.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very funny!

good luck on the run and great news on Tyler.

Katie Ferrito said...

absolutely inspiring...both of you :) I will be a "cheerleader" at the marathon this Saturday through the LLS. I told the coordinator I'm specifically wanting to see a father who is running for his son cross the finish line so i need to be at the finish line. She said "Who, Kyle?" I've been following your story and love your blogs. I am friends with Tom and Jacque Adams and found out about you while following Kylee's
journey.I met you at the fundraiser run at the rec center but i'm sure you have met more people than imaginable through this unexpected journey. I too am a runner and a person effected by lymphoma (my father is terminal with Non-Hodgkins). I will be sharing tears with you all for ALL the different emotions this dreadful disease puts us through.

But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)

Katie Ferrito

Anonymous said...

Thank you for how you have helped my son. You are an inspiration.

Thank you for your advice to never give up, even if the doctors want you to. Never, never, never give up.

Stef Tarapchak said...

Kyle,

Congrats on the "victory". I would take it, man!!!

Also, it has been so inspiring to follow your progress in your run for Tyler coming up in a few days. I am sorry, but I will not be able to be down there cheering you on, like I would like to be. We have a soccer tournament this weekend. Know that I will be praying for you during the run and will be there in spirit with you, brother!!

Lisa Slonecker said...

You make me laugh every time!

We are so looking forward to seeing you at the marathon. We will be there cheering you on and cheering you to the finish line.

Our admiration for your accomplishment is huge. Way to go!!

The Slonecker Family

Anonymous said...

You can do it, Kyle!

Remember -- I was there to see you did a scuba dive with the sharks --and was on the boat when you came up bleeding when one took a bite out of you! I will NEVER forget that day -- and during a church mission trip!

If you can survive a shark bite, you can do anything. This race will be EASY!

We pray every day for Tyler.

Debbie said...

ATTENTION PRAYER WARRIORS:

PLEASE JOIN OUR PRAYER VIGIL ON SUNDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2008, BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 8-9 PM EST FOR ALL THE FAMILIES ON OUR ANGEL_WINGS PRAYER LIST AND OUR ANGEL FAMILIES OF CHILDREN AND ADULTS WHO HAVE EARNED THEIR WINGS.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

AJay Piniewski said...

http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/dublin/stories/2008/10/15/1016dualfriend_ln.html

proud of you