Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving - A New Year!

I know it is an old cliche, but I am going for it anyway. What a difference a year makes!

We had a fantastic Thanksgiving. Brandon and Travis are home from school, my parents are here, Tyler is feeling great, and so are Erik and Kathy. We still have a long road ahead, and a lot of bills that will take a while to work through, but everyone is strong and healthy.

One year ago today we posted...

Last night was the worst night for Tyler since we have been here. We are still learning about all the Chemo drugs, and the much longer list of drugs to combat all the side effects of the Chemo drugs. Late last night Tyler had a severe allergic reaction to one of those drugs, Phenagren, which helps treat the nausea from the Chemo. He began to shake all over and throw his head around. The doctors administered more drugs to counter the reaction. Without the phenagren, the nausea came on full force through the night. Tyler is in a lot of pain and can not sleep at all. He was still suffering at 7:30 this morning when the next round of Chemo injections began, making him even more ill. Then, at 12:00, he was taken into surgery for Chemo injections into his spine. This has been a very long and difficult 18 hours for Tyler.

This year we were all together, delivering turkeys to some families in trouble. What a difference a year makes.

Someone told me in the hospital that prayer does not change things. He said prayer changes people, and people change things. I don't know if this is true, and frankly don't really care. Whichever way it works, I still believe it is important. And if the prayer does not change us than, at the very least, it has been wasted on us. Prayer, like faith, is a verb...it requires action on our part, otherwise it is dead. Life is not created to be a spectator sport.

Stef has been a constant supporter of Tyler and a great friend. One year ago today Tyler was at the hardest part of his battle to date. Stef is now at that point in his fight with Colon cancer. Please keep him in your prayers.

Please also keep Ryan in your prayers. He is also about where Tyler was this time last year.

Cancer-I intend not only to beat you, but to better the lives of everyone I can: By loving them, encouraging them, giving them information, making them laugh, praying for them and by any other means I can. Cancer, you are not the end. You are merely my opportunity to serve others and perhaps my only chance to attain at least some small measure of heroism.
--Mark Hartwig

2 comments:

Mamalindaw48 said...

Good Morning Tyler,
I am stopping by from Angel_Wings and just wanted to let you know I am so happy that you are doing so well...you are right, what a difference a year makes!!
I want you to know that I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
God Bless You,
Linda

Grandma Bonnie said...

Tyler,

What a pleasure to spend Thanksgiving with you, your brothers and mom and dad. Grandpa and I are the luckiest and most blessed of grandparents this Thanksgiving.

You are fabulous, fun, and have interesting insight of the political situation and where this great country of ours needs to go. I loved discussing current events with you. I probably understand that better than sports. So thank you for enlightening me. You continue to amaze me in so many ways.

Charge ahead, young man - you have so much adventure ahead. Don't miss a thing.

Love.

Grandma Bonnie