Sunday, February 15, 2009

Do You Believe?

Mason Woods fought cancer with Tyler up on the J-5 cancer floor of Children's Hospital. They went into remission around the same time. About three weeks ago, Mason's cancer relapsed with a vengeance. He passed away only one week later. His funeral was last week, and his family now struggles to proceed with live without Mason.

This past week, Mason's dad went into his office. As he sat down, he discovered the picture shown above. It had been drawn on the dry erase board in his office. When Mason was healthy he would occasionally go to his dad's office and watch him work. At some point Mason had drawn this picture. I do not know what you see, but what I see is Mason with wings, flying while he looks over his dad's shoulders. At the time of this drawing, Mason was thought to be in remission. But in reality the cancer has relapsed and was moving fast. Within a short time, Mason would be gone. I wonder if Mason understood a whole lot more than any of us. On some level, did he know what was going on in his body? Did he know what the future held? Did he know his dad would find this picture only days after the funeral?

The very next night, Mason's dad saw a new message appear on his cell phone. The message indicated it was sent on January 29th, but it had just arrived on the phone. It was a very short and simple message. It was from Mason. "I love you Dad."

I told this story to a friend. He said it had to be just a random coincidence. When I disagreed, he said it just depended upon your level of faith. I guess he is right. I told him I did not have anywhere near his level of faith in random coincidence. I choose the more likely option that there are things beyond my knowledge. There is a realm that is beyond my ability to fully understand at this time.
.
As for me, I choose to believe.
.
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
--Romans 8:18
No eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.
--1 Corinthians 2:9

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe as well!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Our wonderful daughter passed away last year after a 3 year battle with cancer. She was only 12, but she knew more than any of us.

We found 5 love notes she wrote to us. I have no doubts she put them in places she knew we would only find after she entered heaven.

She knew.

And I believe.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I BELIEVE!