Friday, February 20, 2009

Words

Scribbled on the ceiling above his bed, while fighting for his life against Burkitt's Lymphoma, Jake Silberg wrote a phrase he would see every time he opened his eyes. Every day is a gift. Every day holds the hope of a changing world. Every day is a chance to make life AWESOME!

Today Jake is over 12 months into remission.

As we walked the halls of J-5, and traveled to other hospitals around the country, we saw a lot of similar quotes on walls, doors, and ceilings. Thoughts and words that these incredible young men and women wished to see each day as they waged a fight for their life. Here are a few others.


Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times He calms the sailor. And sometimes He makes us swim.

Pain is your body telling you that you are still alive.

You don’t know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

A healthy child has many wishes. A child with cancer has only one.

If you need something,"Ask GOD". If you don't need anything, "THANK GOD".

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Teddy Roosevelt

The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.
Judges 6:12

If you are going through hell, keep moving.
Winston Churchill

Never give up. Never give up. Never, never, never give up.
Winston Churchill


I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me.

Philippians 4:13

I know God will not give me more than I can handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teressa

All it takes is all you got.
Marc Davis

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you are tired, you quit when the gorilla is tired.
Robert Strauss


We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or fight like hell.
Lance Armstrong

Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever. I thank you and God bless you all.
Jim Valvano, NCAA Coach, at the ESPY Awards speech 2 months before his death from cancer

I will answer them before they even call to Me
Isaiah 65:24


Save me oh God, for the waters have come up to my neck.
Psalms 64:1

All my friends folded 1,000 paper cranes(origami). Japanese legend says that if a person receives 1,000 paper cranes, he is granted one wish. Everyone knows my wish. Please keep praying.
Joshua Prunsky, current fighting cancer

Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

That which does not kill me, makes me stronger
Friedrich Nietzsche

Courage + Believe = Life.
Scott Challis, lost his life to liver cancer at age 18

All at once, life can be filled with horror and fear, and then in an instant, it opens up and provides you with a period of unbridled enjoyment.
Jon Agin, his 2 year old daughter Alexis currently fighting brain cancer

Keep fighting; stop struggling.
Miles Levin, lost his life to cancer at age 18.

You have never lived until you have almost died, and for those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.
Copied from a wall of the Hanoi Hilton prisoner of war camp

If you have learned anything from me through all of this, do something with it to make a difference - to make things better.
Melissa Sengbusch, lost her life to cancer at age 19.

Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.
Hebrews 12:1

Hi, my name is Cody. I am 12 years old. I love to be outside playing with my friends or just watch the airplanes. My dream has always been to join the air force and go to West Point Academy. I have a love for planes, and one day I hope to have my own airlines. I was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma. Well this is just a little bit about me.
Cody Robinson passed away at age 13 from cancer (Ewing's Sarcoma).

They shall mount up with wings like eagles. They shall run and not be weary.
Isaiah 40:13

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
Dr. Seuss

As for "Why me?"... I don't know, and I've given up wondering. If I have a divine purpose, it is to show the world how to deal with adversity head on, with courage and grace.
Miles Levin

If I had to pick one thing I would hope to accomplish in this life, it would be to show people how to rekindle the human fire from cinder and fading embers until the flames burn so bright that it hurts to look.
Miles Levin

Don't ever give up. Follow your dreams.
Brendan Foster, lost his life to Leukemia at age 11.

All the world is full of suffering, it is also full of over coming it.
Helen Keller

Once you choose hope, anything's possible.
Christopher Reeves

I've read the last page of the Bible. It's going to be okay.
Billy Graham

Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With a long life I will satisfy him And let him see My salvation.
Psalm 91:14-16

1 comment:

Mary Strunk said...

the future is the future,
and the past is the past,
but today is a gift from God,
that is why it is called "the present". author unknown