Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Keep Fighting

KEEP FIGHTING

The fight never ends.

Today I attended the funeral of our dear friend Ryan Salmons. I think it was Mason Woods' mom who said God did not give her son cancer, but God was there with her son through the entire fight. And then, it was God who ended the battle and brought Mason home. Ryan is home also, and free from the battle. And the cancer will now die the slow death it deserves, with its only victory being the tattered and broken body that Ryan left behind.

But for the rest of us, the fight goes own. Mason McLeod is still fighting. Matthew Barr is still fighting. Joe Friend, Jesse Dorseck, Matt Hupp, Alex Pothast, Brayden Bueter, and many, many more.

There is a cure, and there are answers. We just have to keep searching. Tyler is alive and well. Kylee, Nicolas, Colyn, Olivia, Sinjin, Tristan. They are all alive. The battle does have a reward. We just can not give up. With everything these kids give, how can we ever slow down.

KEEP RUNNING

This time last year I signed up with Team in Training to raise money for cancer research through the Leukemia-Lymphoma Society. I signed up to run the Columbus Marathon. When I told Tyler, he laughed at me. I asked for one good reason why he thought I could not run a marathon. He said, "Because you're old, you're fat, and you're slow". I said, "I asked for ONE good reason, not THREE".

When I went to the first training run, the coach asked everyone what there goal was to finish the race. My answer was "Alive." But the truth was that I had a bigger goal. The goal was to cross the finish line in front of Tyler, seeing him in full remission with a full head of hair. Every one of the goals was achieved.

After completing the marathon, there was only had one thought in my head...I would never, ever, ever do anything that stupid again in my entire life. Running 26.2 miles is insane.

Unfortunately, sanity is not one of my strengths. Therefore, I have joined Team in Training again to raise more money for research. This time I will be running two marathons (if you're doing something insane, you might as well go for it). Columbus in October and Tampa in January. Today began the first of just over 500 miles of training runs in preparation for the Columbus marathon.

If you would like to support research for the cure, you can do so by going here.

Right now the site just has some generic info from Team in Training. I will up date it soon with mileage and some photos of Tyler. And the site just opened. You could be the first sponsor to sigh up. Any amount is appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep running!

And keep Fighting!

MJ/Angel_Wings said...

Hi Tyler and Family I hope all is well with you and I know you will keep fighting !! Please know that I am thinking about you and keeping you in prayer.