Saturday, May 2, 2009

Refuse To Lose

I have a good idea that, all day today, there are hockey games being played in Heaven.

Yesterday, while in the arms of his father, our dear friend Ryan Salmons was removed from his pain and walked into eternity.

I meet Ryan soon after he was diagnosed last year. Tyler and I went to see him after being told by a friend that he was struggling and could use some encouragement. But over the next weeks and months, Ryan grew into an incredible young man, becoming a source of encouragement and strength to me and thousands of others.

Miles Levin, who was the same age with the same cancer, said shortly before his own death,

Your biological vitality means very little---having a beating heart and operational lungs does not define you, your effect on the world around you does. Once you fulfill that service, your shift is done; you’re off work and its time to go home. So you don’t necessarily need a lot of years to have a lot of effect. In fact, maybe the opposite: if the good die young, it is they who have the most profound effect of all. If you can truly embrace this---and I’m still trying---that’s sainthood.

Ryan, your impact will last for generations. You have reached sainthood.

Until we meet again, my friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tyler! We do not know each other by face, but I feel a connection to you and check in with your blog which was a link from Ryan's page. I attended his funeral today - and you were on my mind tonight. I wanted to let you know how thrilled I am you are feeling well and how proud I am of you with your webpage here. I can check in and encourage lots of kiddos that might need an encouraging word. And that is only because of you! This weekend I will light a candle for all those you mentioned and of course our Ryan - to remember them and their valiant fights. I actually work at Children's but not at the main campus so I applaud you for visiting back and encouraging others. It is not an easy thing to do. If you don't mind, I am going to pop in on your page from time to time and we can remember Ryan together. :) He would have loved all the corvettes and harleys and blue jackets flags today in his honor :) Be WELL!
Your new friend -
Amy Leigh., Columbus Ohio