Saturday, August 8, 2009

Leave Nothing On The Table

How about a very cool story.

Rachael Tippie, about 4 months ago, was in a lot trouble. The doctors were discussing treatments that had words like "palliative", "compassionate", and "hospice". Innocent sounding words, but we all know the meaning. A kinder and gentler way of saying, "We give up". But Rachael and her parents decided to continue the fight. A new hospital, new doctors, new treatments. Leave no stone unturned. Leave nothing on the table.

Within a month, Rachael was walking around the hospital and eating pizza. They she was able to leave and move into the Ronald McDonald House. Then, this week, Rachael went into remission. She is now starting her life saving bone marrow transplant. Never say impossible.

And, just as a side note, the bone marrow is a perfect match from an unrelated donor in the bone marrow registry. A perfect stranger will now save her life. That could have been you. Sign up for the registry, and you could save a life.


Zac Mason continues his fight. And his father fights for options. A lot of decisions are being made. No one knows the right answers, but the decisions fall squarely on the family. All you can do is question and dig, and then follow your heart.

Mason McLeod is deep in a bitter fight. He has given everything to this fight for about 15 months. His family continues to search for options. Never lay down. Never give up.

Matthew Barr continues his fight, holding the cancer at bay. But the meds are still not able to kill the cancer. The fight goes none.

Joe Friend received great news for St. Judes a few weeks ago. The relapse was not as extensive as they had thought. The fight continues.

Please keep all these young people in your thoughts and prayers. Many decisions must be made by families during this battle. Decisions on hospitals, doctors, protocols, and even sometimes a decision to end the medical struggles. None of it is easy. And no one can judge or questions a families decision. They search for options, and then search their souls.

Team in Training:

14 miles. The most painful run of my life. Actually I only made it a little over 10 miles. It is the first time I did not finish my distance (I've felt like crawling a few times, but always made my distance). I'll go back out in the morning and try another 10 or so. My feet have never hurt so much (Some other place hurt as well, but it would be better not to mention them).

The good news is that I gave everything I had to give. I just keep repeating to myself, "Running can't kill me...I'll pass out first". When I got home, I told Kathy that was my new slogan. I thought it was very inspiring. She said I was an idiot.

If you want to support cancer research by sponsoring my run, please click here. Or go to http://pages.teamintraining.org/coh/columbus09/kalfriend

1 comment:

connie prutting said...

Kyle,

Remember the job of a woman is to help men not take themselves so seriously!! Sounds like you wife does her job veeeery well.

Connie