Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Miracle of Time

"So once again we have been blessed with the miracle of time; time to cherish those around, time to bask in the love and support of family and friends, time to give as much as we receive, and time to enjoy the company of a special young man.
I hope you enjoyed your weekend as much as we did, I hope you reveled in each moment, and made the most of the precious time we share with each other. But most importantly, I pray you were thankful for each of the small blessings bestowed upon you."

A great statement. Everyone would agree with those words. But the words carry more impact when taken in context. You see, they were written yesterday by the mother of 14 year old Tyler Genneken. Tyler is battling relapsed leukemia, and treatments have not worked.

When Tyler realized his time was running out, he set two goals. The first was to save others from suffering, by getting more donors in the National Bone Marrow Registry. The other was to live to see his brother get married.

His family put together a bone marrow drive with the expectation of 100-150 new registrants. The event was held this week-end, and they registered 1,450! The next day Tyler stood in front of the church, as the best man in his brothers wedding.

Now the family joins together, surrounding Tyler with their great love and faith as he struggles through the pain. Do Not Resuscitate orders have been signed. In that context, the family wrote the statement above, counting all the blessings they have received.

As I read their words, I am filled with questions. How did I spend my week-end? What lives have I blessed? What good have I accomplished? How did I use my time? I know 53 children who did not live to experience this week-end. How have I used the time they did not receive, but I was so freely granted? Have I been thankful for all the blessings? Tyler Genneken has used his few remaining days to save others. His family has joined in that effort, and continues to count their blessings. So what have I done with my time?

This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is important because I’m exchanging a day out of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever. Leaving in its place that which I have traded. I want it to be gain, not loss. Good, not evil. Success, not failure. In order that I should not regret the price I paid for it. Because the future is just a whole string of nows.--Lou Holtz


Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, making the most of your time.--Ephesians 5:15-16



We are embracing our moments- Not dwelling on the past nor being anxious or worrying about the future at this moment. We are giving our full attention to the now and letting go of any outcomes. Rather than seeking quantity of time, we're enjoy and are savoring every single minute.--Dawn Harris, shortly before her son, 10 year old Seth Harris, died of complications from cancer

The present day is important to you for this reason: you can waste it or use it, but no matter how you spend it, you've traded a day of your life for it!--Zig Ziglar

You have a gift and you best start using it,
Cause if you don't, your gonna wind up losing it.
So get busy like a school boy making an "A",
Cause time my brother is ticking away.
--DC Talk

With the clock of life continually running, can you really afford to wait?--Daniel Drublin

The clock isn't slower, your just faster.--Adidas Slogan

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking.

Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
--Pink Floyd

Act now. For now is all you have.--Og Mandino

I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moments gone. -- Kansas

If you are looking for a great way to spend your time, how about registering to become a bone marrow donor. It is very easy. And you might just save a life...how cool is that?

To sign up to save a life through the National Bone Marrow Registry, please click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for remembering the kids.

Steve and Lisa

Anonymous said...

I liked
"This is the beginning of a new day..."
placed it on the desktop for me and on the wall for my Alex.
Alex & I know the value of every day...
Thank you Kyle for writing
it means a lot for people.
Arsen (LA)