Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Meeting God

It has been said that angels walk on the earth, and that even God will appear to us in various forms. When I first heard that said, I wondered what God would look like. What about Jesus Christ? I wondered about eyes that faced incredible suffering, while communicating compassion and joy. A voice that carried the sound of tremendous fight and amazing love. What would that look and sound like? I often wondered.

AJ's dad pointed out that the Bible uses the word "Awesome" only one time, and it is referring to God. It really puts into perspective a word that is used so freely these days.

I have meet the most amazing kids in this journey with cancer. These young people are awesome, and it is true in every sense of the word. They look into the abyss and respond with courage and hope. Through all the fear and pain, they communicate with laughter, joy, compassion, and love. Meeting these kids, I truly believe there are times that I have looked directly into the very face of God. Listening to these young people, I have heard the very words of God.

Listen to their words...

I will fight, and I will win. Because whenever I fight, I always FIGHT TO WIN!--
Tyler Alfriend, now 16 months in remission.

I'm still fighting. I'm in a window that should be closed, but I'm still fighting. Why turn over and give up when you can go out and enjoy life? People come up and tell me to keep fighting. It's awesome. Those things keep me happy and smiling and moving along. - Ryan Salmons, one month before passing away.

It's easy. Nothing to it. Just change the word IMPOSSIBLE to I'M POSSIBLE. - Sinjin Andrukates, after being told there are no remaining treatment options. Sinjin is now 12 months in remission.

Every day is a gift. Everyday holds the hope of changing the world. Everyday is a chance to make life AWESOME! - Jake Silberg, written in magic marker over his bed while receiving chemo. Jake is now 18 months in remission.

When someone gives up. Don't ever give up. Always follow your dreams.-Brendan Foster, when asked what makes his sad. Brendan passed away two days later.

If you have learned anything from me through all of this, do something with it to make a difference - to make things better. -Melissa Sengbusch, six months before passing away.

Dying is not what scares me; it's dying having had no impact. I know a lot of eyes are watching me suffer; and -- win or lose -- this is my time for impact. - Miles Levin, one month before passing away.

My life is more amazing than I could ever dream. - Andoni Schultz, battling cancer since age 3, upon his acceptance to Notre Dame University.

I can fight. Why would they tell me to quit when I'm willing to fight? Please do not give up on me. - Brett Workman, after being moved to hospice care. Brett passed away three weeks later.

I must stay positive. My mom is having a hard time. She is the toughest person I know, but she is tired. Whenever I wake up she is right there. She holds my cold hand and my dog lays on my cold feet. Please say an extra prayer for the miracle. There are so many things I want to do with my life. And I do not want my mom to be alone. --Josh Prunsky, 4 weeks before he passed away.
It was my desire to make a difference, and I tried to do that in the opportunities that were given to me. There was so much more I wanted to do. Now you can pick up where I left off and serve so many others. Hear this plea and respond to it. This is your friend who asks you to accept this challenge. Do something meaningful in your life. --Brett Gosnell, letter to participants in a fundraiser for him, after learning he would live to see the event.
.
And look into their eyes...

1 comment:

The Katich Family said...

Well said. These kids "know life" on a much more profound level. It is amazing and a life changing experience to be so close to them.