Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Going For Silver & Cap City

GOING FOR SILVER!

That is my slogan for the Columbus marathon.

My first (and so far only) marathon was in 2008. I ran the Columbus Marathon in Tyler's name. One of the hardest parts of that race was the halfway point. I was surrounded by a large group running the 1/2 marathon. From 10 miles on, they were yelling "Almost there! Almost done!" As we got closer, I saw their finish line off to the left. Straight ahead was my path, up the hill for an additional 13.1 miles. Every part of me wanted to just turn left and finish the dumb race.

As I looked around, the streets were lined with people who had already finished the 1/2 race. They were all walking around in those silly looking silver blankets they give you at the finish line. I really wanted to be finished and wrapped in on of those blankets. Those blankets started looking really cool. So for the next 13 miles, that became my main focus. I just imagined myself walking around in my super cool silver blanket, successfully completing the full marathon.

I began falling apart at mile 22. But I keep pushing and pushing, picturing myself in my silver victory blanket. Then it happened. I saw the finish line. 26.2 miles. I crossed the finish line to victory! But there was a problem. A very big problem. They had run out of those stupid silver blankets! I went to one of the U.S. Marines working the finish line. I told him I really, really wanted a silver blanket. He offered me a bagel and a banana. It's really not the same thing.

So that the story behind my slogan. I will be running the Columbus marathon again. When I ran last time, they asked me what my goal was to finish the race. I said, "Alive". This time I have a new goal. Finish the race before they run out of those stupid silver blankets! Going for the silver!

The race is in October. Training officially begins next week. To kick it of, I will be running the Cap City 1/2 marathon this Saturday.

But never forget why I am running. I will be joining Team and Training again for the Columbus marathon. It is all to raise funding and attention to these kids fighting cancer. Tyler is doing great, now 18 months in remission. But there are still many young people fighting their courageous fights. Please keep our friends in your thoughts and prayers.

Christina O'Brian Matthew Barr

Sam Bish

Faith Pruden

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think what you are doing is phenomenol! Your work reminds me of an author in a very similar situation. Alesia Shute is a childhood cancer survivor and wrote her story. Check out her website because the two of you mighte be able to help each other.
www.everythingsokaybook.com

Keep up the fight!