Thursday, September 30, 2010

Terry Fox amd Pheidippides

22 miles! Finished my last long training run before the marathon.

486 miles completed...59 training miles and 17 days to the starting line.

I'm told the marathon originated in 490 B.C. with a Greek soldier named Pheidippides. During a battle in Marathon, Greece, he was ordered to run to Athens with an urgent message. He delivered the message, saved Greece, and fell over dead on the spot...a 26.2 mile run from Marathon to Athens.

Yesterday I ran 22 miles. I wasn't wearing any Greek armor, but it still hurt. Half way through the run, I found myself hating Pheidippides. What idiot runs 26.2 miles? Why didn't that stupid SOB just fall over dead at 15 miles? Or even 10 miles. It would have made this whole idea a lot easier.

And then I remembered why I run. Or more to the point, who I run for. Then I was sent this video. Terry Fox. He ran a marathon a day, every day, on one leg. I had never heard of him. After watching this, I'll never forget him.



Well, now my petty 22 miles seems a bit lame. Maybe I should go out and run 50 miles right now (but then again, maybe not).

I admit that I can't run a marathon a day. But does that really matter? I think the really question is this: Am I doing what I can do? As I look out the window, I think of these young people. I think of their courage and passion for life. I think of how hard they fought to receive this day. And I ask myself what have I done to earn this day.

I ask that question a lot. I hope I never stop.

Have a dream, make a plan, go for it. You'll get there. I promise.
-Zoe Koplowitz, after finishing the 1993 NYC marathon, in 24 hours, on crutches, suffering from MS

Don't ever accept anyone else's preconceived limitations. If there's something you want to do, there isn't any reason you can't do it.
-Amy Dodson, Triathlete, lost leg and lung to cancer

Bring it on! Let's do it now. Right now.
-Tyler Alfriend, 15, during especially severe side effects, responding after doctors expressed concerns about his body's ability to continue treatment.

I am doing fine because I refuse to do otherwise. My remaining life is now about something bigger. I must keep on.
-Mile Levin, 18, a few weeks before losing his battle with cancer

Every day is a gift. Everyday holds the hope of changing the world. Everyday is a chance to make life AWESOME!
-Jake Silberg, 17, cancer survivor, completed first triathlon last week-end

We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or fight like hell.
-Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor

Even if your losing, you have to fight.
Perry Rothaur, cancer survivor

I will not give up on anything. God will take me when it's my time.
-Shane Christensen, 19, shorting before losing battle with cancer

In a race there is only one winner. When I run a race, I do so to win.
-St. Paul, I Corinthians 9:24

They shall mount up with wings like eagles. They shall run and not be weary.
-Isaiah 40:13

There is nothing impossible to him who will try.
-Alexander the Great

1 comment:

Erin McGraw said...

Thanks for posting this. My daughter learned about Terry Fox about a month ago in Second Grade. Their teacher read a little book called The Value of a Challenge and it mentioned Terry Fox. She told us all about him. Then a week later we had to explain cancer to my kids as their great uncle passed away from it. It was a great way to bring up the subject and I can't help but think God ordained it that way. I am so glad Tyler is doing well. I know there is alot of work to be done regarding childhood cancer and what a great advocate you have been and continue to be. God bless!!