Friday, November 25, 2011

The Flying Feather

Four years ago, Thanksgiving began on the cancer floor at Children's Hospital. This year, it began with us all healthy, running the 4 mile Flying Feather race.

We have so many reasons to be thankful.

Four years ago we were one of just a couple of families remaining on the cancer floor at Children's Hospital. The hospitals do everything possible to get the cancer kids home for holidays. But Tyler was in isolation and doing bad. We have just learned that, while on chemo for Burkitt's Lymphoma, Leukemia had moved into his bone marrow and central nervous system. So we had Thanksgiving dinner spread out on the air hockey table in the play room on the cancer floor.

Then, about 10am, doctors came in with the latest scans and blood tests. They said they would allow Tyler off the cancer floor for three hours. We packed up all the food and plates and ran home. It was the first time Tyler had been allowed out of the hospital since being diagnosed. We knew there was an ugly and difficult road in front of Tyler. But for that day we were all together. We celebrated each other, and we celebrated the now. Everything from tomorrow on was unknown and ignored.

The following months were ugly, just as the doctors promised. Treatments that took Tyler closer to death than I thought was possible. And Tyler continued to fight. Nothing could stop him, even as we traveled other cancer facilities in Boston and Houston.

And now his is a victor. A 15 year old fighter that beat three stage IV cancers. And this Thanksgiving we all ran the Flying Feather. Life is worth living. Life is worth fighting.

Always fight to win.










4 comments:

applejack2 said...

GO TYLER AND STAY HEATHY
My friends sister had it and she


MADE IT
she did not have that kind,
but still
YAY

MyStory of HiStory said...

I stumbled on your blog this morning. Stayed long enough to read this post. Especially liked this part:

We celebrated each other, and we celebrated the now. Everything from tomorrow on was unknown and ignored.

Indeed you have much to be thankful for. Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers? I'm planning to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm completely confused .. Any ideas? Kudos!

flossie said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

Low Platelets Treatment and Natural Remedies